Question regarding new licensing

Your experience with Movienizer, questions, remarks.
rob29
Extra

Question regarding new licensing

Post by rob29 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:51 pm

The FAQ states "An activation cannot be moved to a different computer." So, if I register on my current laptop and desktop computers and then get a new computer, I will then be out of activations and will have to purchase another license even if I no longer use it on my old computer? If this is the case, it makes the lifetime option much less attractive (and a little misleading) as you could end up needing to purchase a new "lifetime" subscription every couple years (depending on how often you replace your computer).

It also appears that according to this page (http://www.movienizer.com/register7.htm) the regular licenses (without the 60% off limited discount) are the same or more than the family licenses. Is this correct?

Vlad
Developer

Re: Question regarding new licensing

Post by Vlad » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:45 am

Yes, after activating a regular license on two computers and moving to a new computer, you will need a new license (which you can get with a discount). Depending on your use, you can choose what's best for you. For example, I change computers once in 5 years and use only one computer, so a regular license would last for 10 years with me.
It also appears that according to this page (http://www.movienizer.com/register7.htm) the regular licenses (without the 60% off limited discount) are the same or more than the family licenses. Is this correct?
Hardly, a regular license currently costs $99.95, a family license - $199.95. Price changes will affect all types.
ImageImage

Sunbank
Passerby

Post by Sunbank » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:18 pm

This is for me not very customer friendly. I'm a power user and don't use my computers 5 years. I get a new computer at least every two years. But also I often change some parts in my computer or reinstall Windows, due to a new faster harddrive. As every body knows Windows becomes slow during lifetime. The only chance to avoid this is to make a new installation of Windows.
I was willing to buy the lifetime licence, but in this case this is not a good deal for me. Even the year license will be very expensive for me in this case.
A solution would be to deactivate the license on the old computer and after this to activate it again on the new computer. Many software companys do it in this way.
If there will be no change, unfortunately I have to look for another program.

maniac
Developer

Post by maniac » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:36 pm

You can change parts of a computer without problems. Also you can always write to us and describe your situation.
ImageImage

Sunbank
Passerby

Post by Sunbank » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:09 pm

maniac wrote:You can change parts of a computer without problems.
I know, my profession is admin. But sometimes it is better if you change hardware to install windows new.
Also you can always write to us and describe your situation.
That sounds good. But then this sentence is not clear:
Yes, after activating a regular license on two computers and moving to a new computer, you will need a new license

rob29
Extra

Post by rob29 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Vlad wrote:Yes, after activating a regular license on two computers and moving to a new computer, you will need a new license (which you can get with a discount). Depending on your use, you can choose what's best for you. For example, I change computers once in 5 years and use only one computer, so a regular license would last for 10 years with me.
If you only have a single computer, the new version is less compelling as one of the big new features - "synchronizing your movie list between different computers" - is irrelevant. I get cloud backup currently by creating a backup within Movienizer to a Dropbox folder. I'm with Sunbank in that I upgrade computers much more often than every 5 years. I spend the extra money for lifetime subscriptions so I don't ever have to worry about it again. That would not be the case here.
Hardly, a regular license currently costs $99.95, a family license - $199.95. Price changes will affect all types.
If this is true, then I would suggest changing the register page. It currently implies that the regular lifetime subscription is on sale for $99.95 - down from its regular price of $199.95. The family lifetime subscription implies that it is not on sale and regularly costs $199.95 - the same as a regularly priced regular subscription. There is no indication the family licenses will go up in price.

If you are sticking by the "lifetime of your computer" licensing model, I will be sticking with v6 and looking elsewhere.

iosefra
Supporting actor

Post by iosefra » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 pm

I agree. I also replace computer every couple of years or reinstall windows. In that case lifetime lenience will finish in couple of years.

maniac
Developer

Post by maniac » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 pm

iosefra wrote:I agree. I also replace computer every couple of years or reinstall windows. In that case lifetime lenience will finish in couple of years.
So, you can buy 1-year license.
ImageImage

pvdavidson
Supporting actor

Post by pvdavidson » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:00 am

While I'm not wildly happy about the new licencing model, I'm used to it with the Windows OS being the best example I can think of. You cannot transfer a Windows system from one PC to another unless you have a very expensive full retail version rather than whatever came pre-installed on the PC.

I'm also not looking forward to the time when I do finally update my PC and have to get a new Movienizer licence, however that's not something that happens often and I just budget for it along with everything else. As for all the power users out there who seem to be able to upgrade their PCs every year or two, wish I could afford that!! It seems to me that they either have buckets of $ for new toys or they are getting their new hardware for near nothing compliments of their employer or business. Either way, I can't see how the extra cost of a new licence would be much of a financial strain to such users.

Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned but I can't see the big deal over the new licencing arrangements unless you are someone who needs the latest toys and online access to everything 24 hours a day. If you are like that, good for you but you should also be prepared to pay the cost of such technology access.

rob29
Extra

Post by rob29 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:42 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the Movienizer guys are entitled to try to make money with their intellectual property however they see fit.

However I have two major issues:

1. The new licensing model could subject users to a much higher total cost of ownership. Can I afford the new licensing? Yes. Do I think it will end up costing me more than I wish to pay for a movie tracker? Absolutely. They are also forcing you to purchase all of their products regardless of which one(s) you are interested in. If you use all products and don't upgrade your computer too often, maybe you make out better than I do on this deal. It's not about it being a financial strain. It's about paying what something is worth. With other similar programs costing a fraction of this over time, Movienizer ceases to be worth it for me.

2. Calling something like this "lifetime" is deliberately misleading. No one initially thinks that it is for the life of the computer you install it on. If I buy a lifetime membership to something, I don't expect to ever pay membership fees again. If one day I get a new computer and I'm all out of licenses and can't afford the subscription charge anymore, and I can't access my movie database that I spent countless hours populating, then I will really not be happy.

By the way, according to the Windows 8 license agreement, you can transfer the license to a new computer.
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/e ... fault.aspx